Friday, January 23, 2009

Bye-bye Win98, we will miss you(?)

Always read the fine print. Every now and again something comes around that catches you out... Late last year I upgraded my development environment to Visual Studio 2008 and the latest Windows WDK. With that I converted the PPJoy source to VS 2008 projects, did a couple of regression tests, and everything looked fine. The catch? I never tested on Windows 98...

On Monday, as I was testing the new PPJoy installer on Windows 98 only to discover my executables won't run on Windows 98. A quick google later I am reading the compiler release notes specifying that VS 2008 only supports Windows 2000 and later.

So that settles it then: PPJoy will no longer support Windows 98. I could try to hack some support together but frankly the time is spent better elsewhere...


3 comments:

  1. So, which version of PPJoy works on Windows 98?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up to version 0.83 will work in Windows 98.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Windows 98 for 2 year approximate.But as you wrote for using recent developments we need to upgrade Windows OS too.I have now Windows 7.Which version I can use?
    digital certificate

    ReplyDelete